What Do I Do If I Am in a Car Accident in Henderson, NV?
The Actions You Take After a Crash Make a Difference
The moments after a crash might find you in shock, unsure of what just happened, not knowing what to do next, and worrying about how you will afford the expenses associated with your medical treatment and property damage. The steps you take after a crash can make all the difference in your car accident case. Below, you will find important information on what to do after any type of traffic accident.
- Seek medical care: Most importantly, make sure everyone in your car and the passengers of the other vehicle are not seriously injured. If there are major injuries, seek emergency medical care before doing anything else. As soon as possible after an accident, see a doctor. Even if you don’t feel injured, symptoms of an injury can appear hours, days, or even weeks after a crash, and seeking immediate treatment can identify the existence of physical damage. Failing to get medical attention could jeopardize your right to seek damages for your injuries.
- Exchange information: Nevada state law requires drivers to stop and exchange information at the scene of any accident. Make sure you get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, insurance information, driver’s license number, and license plate number before leaving the scene of the accident.
- Take photos of the damage: Be sure to take numerous photos of your car, the other driver’s car, the position of the cars at the time of the crash, and any debris or fluids that may have spread onto the roadway. These photos can be helpful when you file a car accident claim for damages.
- Speak with anyone who may have witnessed the crash: Eyewitnesses can be invaluable resources in a personal injury lawsuit. If anyone has stopped to offer help or is standing nearby and may have seen the accident, be sure to speak with them and obtain their contact information.
- File a report: Nevada state law requires that, if law enforcement did not come to the scene of an accident, drivers report to the DMV any crash that has caused physical injury or death to one of the drivers, and/or caused property damage worth at least $750.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer: Either the at-fault driver or the insurer may make a quick attempt to settle your claim, offering cash for your injuries before you are even sure of how much they will cost you. Before agreeing to settle, or even before making any recorded statements to insurers, speak with an accident lawyer. We can advise you of what to say or what you should not say, thereby protecting your rights.
Let Our Henderson Accident Attorneys Help with Your Recovery
David Boehrer Law Firm has been advocating on behalf of accident victims throughout Henderson and the surrounding area for years, and we are prepared to take your claims to court if necessary. Our Henderson Car Accident Attorneys are considered some of the best accident attorneys in the area. For a free evaluation of your case, call (702) 750-0750 or fill out our online form.