Henderson Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip and Fall Attorneys Helping Injured Henerson, NV Victims Since 2005
At the David Boehrer Law Firm, we’ve been helping people injured in slip and fall accidents get back on their feet since 2005. We understand the legal and financial challenges you’re facing after becoming hurt on someone else’s property. As the medical bills begin to pile up, your savings dwindle, and your condition continues to impact your life, it may seem like you have nowhere to turn. We can help.
Turn to our Henderson slip and fall lawyers for honest answers to your legal questions, an accurate estimate of what your case may be worth, and guidance in pursuing compensation for your losses. Give us a call at (702) 750-0750 for a free consultation.
Anyone Can Fall Victim To Hazardous Property Conditions
Falls are primarily associated with people over the age of 65 and the number of falls within this age group is increasing. That said, anyone can be the victim of a slip and fall.
- The number of elderly deaths in the United States increased by 31% from 2007 to 2016. That year, nearly 30,000 people over age 65 died as a result of a fall. 212 of those deaths were in Nevada.
- Overall age groups, falling is the third-leading cause of unintentional injury deaths. About 34,673 people died after falling in 2016.
- There was a higher rate of fall deaths among older men in 2016. A higher rate of nonfatal falls was seen among older women.
- The circumstances of a fall (falling from heights, alcohol or drug use, advanced age) contribute to more severe injuries like head trauma, spine injuries, and post-fall complications.
- People in the construction industry are especially at risk for fall injuries, but those who work in manufacturing are in danger as well. Falls account for more missed days from work than any other injury. About 600 people die each year from injuries at work.
- Same-level falls account for about 60% of compensable fall cases in the U.S.
Falls cause more than eight million emergency room visits every year. While broken bones are the most common injuries caused by slip and fall, head trauma and spinal cord injuries are very real dangers.
Fall accidents can cause long-term health complications that require ongoing medical intervention and special care. These costs can add up quickly. Winning a settlement in a premises liability claim after an accident can help alleviate the stress of these financial burdens. An award may also enable you to access better treatment options since you won’t be concerned with the cost of your care.
How Do Slip And Fall Accidents Occur?
The most common type of fall involved in a premises liability case is a slip on a wet floor after a spill has been ignored, rain has been tracked inside, or cleaning products are left on the floor. Slippery surfaces are the cause of about 90 percent of all slip and fall cases in Nevada. Other causes of fall accidents in Nevada include:
- Cracked or uneven sidewalks and walkways
- Poorly lit stairwells
- Missing or loose guardrails
- Trip hazards like power cords, debris, and loose flooring material
Casinos, restaurants, and grocery stores are places where slip and fall accidents often occur, but people frequently fall near public swimming pools, at nightclubs, and at work as well.
Why Is Proving Negligence In A Premises Liability Case Important?
When an accident happens on someone else’s property, the owner may be liable for your injuries if the fall was due to negligence on the owner or manager’s behalf. Accident victims can only succeed in a claim for money damages, however, when they can show that a hazardous condition existed, the owner was aware or should have been aware of the danger, the owner did not take adequate steps to correct the hazard or warn visitors that they could be hurt, and the condition caused the person’s injuries.
In Nevada, business owners have a legal duty to make sure their premises are safe for patrons and workers. This makes it somewhat easier to prove fault when a hazard is overlooked and causes a fall. That doesn’t mean these are easy cases to win, though.
In many cases, insurers and company representatives will claim that the victim caused the accident, that they weren’t aware of the hazards that existed, or that the person who fell wasn’t really injured. That’s why it’s important to seek medical treatment right after an accident and follow the advice of healthcare professionals, take pictures of the hazard that caused you to get hurt, and gather information from witnesses who may have seen you fall or noticed the dangerous condition.
Even if it is determined that you played a role in causing your accident, you may still be able to recover compensation from the other party if you can prove that you were less than 50% at fault. In Nevada, each party is liable for the portion of losses equal to their fault percentage. The amount equal to the claimant’s percentage of fault will be deducted from the award. So if your slip and fall resulted in damages worth $10,000, for example, and you are determined to be 25% at fault for your accident, you would receive $7,500 from the other party. If the other party proves that you are at least 51% at fault for your injuries, however, you will lose your right to recover compensation.
What Will My Attorney Do?
At David Boehrer Law Firm, we strive to stay abreast of changes in Nevada premises liability laws, verdicts, and unscrupulous insurance tactics to ensure we’re prepared for complications that may arise as your case proceeds. We are well-connected in Henderson and nearby communities and have access to a number of resources that can be extremely helpful if you have difficulty obtaining medical treatment, evidence needs to be tested, medical expertise is required, or if reconstruction of your accident is necessary.
When we take your case, our experience and resources become valuable tools that will help you win. We’ll determine whether a property owner or third party holds liability for your injuries. We’ll gather the evidence and make sure videos, photos, and documentation are preserved. And we will negotiate with insurance companies to obtain a fair settlement. If an agreement cannot be reached, we’ll present your case in court and let the judge or jury decide your award.
There are certain steps you can take that will make it easier for us to prove negligence and argue for a better settlement on your behalf.
- Make a report with the manager or property owner as soon as possible after you’re hurt
- Take pictures of the area and the conditions that caused your fall.
- Collect contact information so we can get in touch with any witnesses that may be able to back up your claim.
- Keep the clothing and the shoes you were wearing at the time of the flip and fall.
Reach Out To An Experienced Henderson Slip And Fall Accident Attorney For Legal Guidance
If you or a loved one were severely injured due to someone else’s negligence, an experienced Henderson slip and fall lawyer may be able to help you bring these negligent parties to justice. A dedicated attorney could handle the legal elements of your case while you focus on your physical recovery. Call our office at (702) 750-0750 or fill out our convenient online contact form.